1-day Online Seminar (7.5 hours of CPD)
Many practitioners shy away from studying functional neurology because they perceive it to be too difficult or too complex. What we have observed over the years of teaching this subject is that those learners who have good foundational knowledge of the nervous system (e.g. from undergraduate teachings) find it a lot easier to understand, absorb and put into clinical practice the material we present in our seminars. We have therefore decided to offer this new seminar aimed at teaching you the basics in a simple and easy-to-understand way. This seminar will give you the fundamentals of nervous system structure and function, as well as teaching you examination techniques. Once you possess this foundational knowledge, it will be much easier for you to focus on and grasp the clinical applications taught in later modules without struggling with basic neuroanatomy and neurophysiology.
The seminar will be interactive, and participants will be able to and encouraged to ask questions throughout.
A comprehensive set of course notes will be emailed to you in advance of the seminar.
Video demonstrations of examination techniques and rehabilitation exercises will help you to learn the practical skills.
These videos will demonstrate normal and abnormal findings, and will be made available to you after the seminar.
- How and why neurological dysfunction can occur.
- The different motor tracts and their clinical importance.
- Functional roles of the sensory tracts.
- Cerebral cortex – overview of the parietal & frontal lobes.
- Ocular examination – pursuits & saccades.
- Cranial nerves and their correlation to functional impairments in the brainstem; and how to examine for these deficits.
- Cerebellum: its function in motor control, motor adaptation, postural stabilisation and injury prevention.
- Cerebellar testing & introduction to neuro-rehabilitation.
- Introduction to pain: the concept of pain in the absence of tissue damage, mechanical allodynia and central pain modulation.
Date: Sunday, 6th December 2020
Time: 9:00am – 5.30pm (GMT) / 10:00am – 6.30pm (CET)
Online platform: Zoom
Registration fee: £100 (GBP) / kr1200 (NOK)
Please contact email@example.com if you require any further information.
Nicole Oliver, DC, MChiro, BSc(Hons)
Nicole graduated from the Anglo-European College of Chiropractic (AECC) in 2005 and began studying functional neurology in 2006. She gained the Diplomate of the American Chiropractic Neurology Board (DACNB) qualification four years later. Alongside clinical practice she lectures for Neuroseminars, teaching functional neurology to chiropractors, osteopaths, physiotherapists and other health care professionals in the UK and Europe. Nicole has presented at several conferences and conventions, including the 2014 & 2016 European Chiropractors Union (ECU) Conventions, the 2019 World Federation of Chiropractic (WFC) Congress, and at the annual or biannual conferences/ meetings of the Swiss, German, Norwegian, Belgian, Finnish, Swedish, Irish and Scottish national associations.